The village hall was officially opened for the residents of Charwelton parish on 2nd November 1922, the hall building was originally a cottage and was kindly donated to the parish by the Knightley’s of Fawsley.
The ultimate ownership of the hall was then in the hands of three Trustees, but they rarely met, if ever, and the day to day control was in the hands of the volunteer committee for many years. David Pound joined the committee soon after he and his wife June moved here in 1971 and it was clearly a well oiled machine at that stage. David served on the committee for some 25 years (people did serve for long periods in those days) and chaired the Village H Silver Jubilee Committee in 1977 - which ran commemorative events and raised the money to build the north-bound bus shelter and plant the Silver Birch tree outside the hall.
In 1987 the village hall was registered with The Charity Commission and has been run by a village hall committee ever since, who are elected each year by the parishioners at an Annual General Meeting.
On average the village hall costs about £2,000 a year to maintain and the committee meet each month to help provide the village community with a number of different fundraising events to keep the village hall running.
The principle of the village hall is to provide the residents of Charwelton with a place to meet and socialise and this has been the sole purpose since 1922 and is still the primary reason for running the village hall today.
We are always looking for new volunteers for the committee to help us maintain this wonderful village facility so please let us know if you can help in anyway.
For more information see www.charweltonvillagehall.co.uk